Did you know today, July 29, is National Lasagna Day? Well it is, and we can’t wait to celebrate!
As a third-generation Italian-American family, lasagna is a staple at Michael Angelo’s – we currently sell nine different varieties, with options like the classic Lasagna with Meat Sauce, Vegetable Lasagna Made with Organic ingredients, Florentine Lasagna and more (check out our products page to find your favorite).
In honor of this delicious holiday, we’ve found some fun facts to share with your dinner companions as you enjoy your lasagna of choice:
- Lasagna originated in Italy (no surprise there), and the earliest recipes date back to the thirteenth century
- You can assemble a homemade lasagna ahead of time and store it uncooked in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for a dinner down the line – this is what Michael Angelo’s mom Sara used to do on weekends so her family of five sons would have delicious dinners on weekday nights
- Lasagna can be made with either flat noodles or rippled noodles; rippled noodles are the most popular in the U.S. and are common in southern Italy but rarely used in Northern Italy
- Lasagna is the favorite food of the popular cartoon cat Garfield
- The plural of lasagna is lasagne, which is the proper Italian word for the dish
To celebrate National Lasagna Day in style, you could hover over a hot stove for hours to create a homemade lasagna. Or, you could pick up Michael Angelo’s lasagna at your nearby grocery store for a quicker and stress-free celebratory meal. Pair it with a simple side salad, some fresh bread and a bottle of wine, and spend the time you save cooking with your friends and family – it’s our little National Lasagna Day present to you. Buon appetite!